01 April 2014
Hitachi Headquarters - Hakuba House, Trowbridge
- Region: Wiltshire
- Value: £5,500,000
- Contract terms: JCT Design & Build 2011
- Contract length: 50 weeks
- Procurement: Design + Build
- Completed: April 2014
- BREEAM: Very Good
- Awards: Nash Architects - RTPI South West Schemes on the Ground Highly Commended
- Site features and challenges: Curved building, controlling water run-off
- Community: Excess stone from the site was recycled and used for the resurfacing of a local Village Hall car park by Midas workers. Wood was donated to a local Dog Shelter for the construction of new kennels.
- Customer satisfaction: 99%
Midas constructed a new office building (GIA 1,733 m², a Vehicle Preparation Centre – VPC (GIA 502 m²), and external areas including car parking, landscaping, staff break out areas and water retention system. The main office building serves as headquarters to Hitachi; Midas designed a special scaffold solution to work around the curved building. High water run-off rates from the large car parks were managed by building water capturing lakes and installing water storing cavities beneath the car park. Energy initiatives include solar panels on the VPC (providing 22% of energy requirement), electric vehicle charging points, high quality insulation solutions, energy efficient lighting and advanced air source heat pump technology.