15 December 2014
Filwood Green Business Park, Bristol
- Region: Bristol
- Value: £9,900,000
- Contract terms: JCT Design and Build 2011
- Contract length: 52 weeks
- Procurement: Design + Build
- Completed: May 2015
- Site features and challenges: Japanese knotweed, adjacent to a busy road, adjacent to public footpath used by school children, 20m deep culvert running through site, major infrastructure alterations, 24/7 security team, ensuring BREEAM "Excellent"
- BREEAM: Outstanding (Targeted)
- Awards: Shortlisted - BREEAM Awards 2014 Industrial Category
- Community: Filwood Green Business Park was developed with input from members of the local community, through organisations such as Knowle West Futures, as part of a long term regeneration plan for the surrounding area, one of the most deprived in Bristol.
This project included the refurbishment of a three-storey 1960s university building (CLASP), with a newly constructed vertical extension on the former adjoining single storey, to offer modern academic accommodation within the existing building envelope. The site location offered only one open elevation and challenges for access and use of equipment such as cranes. The work comprised an update of M&E services and thermal performance of the building’s envelope to enhance energy performance; a new single storey portal frame was added to house a new enclosed plant room; existing elevations cleaned and windows replaced; new roof and insulation installed; and existing columns strengthened.